In 2013, Sugar Grove Church was in desperate need of space. We were running 5 services on a weekend and still couldn’t fit everyone! In November of that year, our growing congregation committed to raising $2.8 million for an expansion to our facility. Construction began in 2014, and we had our first worship experience—a dedication service—in the new worship center at the beginning of 2015.
Our new expansion has been a true blessing, and God has continued to bring new families to Sugar Grove Church—already we’re feeling the need to make adjustments in order to accommodate the growing number of guests, regular attenders, and members. We wish to faithfully see our commitment through to conclusion by paying-off what remains of our $2.8m mortgage, as we believe God has even more in store for Sugar Grove Church.
If you call Sugar Grove “Home,” we encourage you to consider making a generous contribution to the Beyond Campaign and help us finish paying-off our mortgage, which you can do in a one-time gift or a regular, recurring payment through our smart phone app, or by visiting the following link:Give to the Beyond Campaign
The Sugar Grove story began in 1848 when faithful families gathered in a home at the corner of CR 17 and CR 20. They met for a time in the old Metzger schoolhouse before building the original church in 1869. The schoolhouse was later renovated into a parsonage.
A tornado damaged the building in 1943 but not the church spirit. The congregation braved that natural disaster and the challenges of World War II to rebuild! When prosperity returned after the war, the people of Sugar Grove responded by expanding to the South (1951) and to the North (1957).
A spiritual storm hit in 1961 when EUB leaders pressed the denomination to adopt Biblically unsound teaching. Sugar Grove said ”no.” The building remained padlocked while the church met at Jefferson School for two years. God remained faithful and in 1963, Sugar Grove repurchased the property.
We have been growing ever since. A new facility, including the present sanctuary, was constructed in 1976. The South addition, a multi-purpose room, the senior high youth room and the junior high youth room followed over the next 25 years.
An economic storm hit the nation in 2008, yet the people of Sugar Grove continued to reach in, raising more than $1 million in the ”Faith for Our Future” campaign. It brought much needed renovations to the facility, an elevator, better traffic flow and, most importantly, set the stage for what God was about to do.
What has He done? Between 2008 & 2013, average attendance rose from 424 to 875. The children’s ministry grew from 77 to 147 and the youth ministry exploded from 40 to an amazing 140! The most important number of all: 216 baptisms!
“Sugar Grove has something special that cannot be manufactured. It is genuine, authentic and real. It is something people desperately need: friends, acceptance, love and, most of all, the Good News of Christ!” —Rick Gering, Former Lead Pastor.